If you arrive at a fire in a substation, never enter the substation before utility personnel arrives.
While you wait, take a defensive approach, and follow these steps:
- Let it burn. Burning electrical equipment is already ruined and will not be repaired. Do not risk injury to protect it as it will be replaced anyway.
- Isolate the area with a radius of at least 300 feet. Keep anyone unauthorized away from the area.
- Stay upwind. Consider downwind evacuation up to 1,000 feet away.
- Follow the 30/30/100 rule: Stay 30 feet away from energized objects, and use a 30-degree fog spray at 100 psi to protect exposures.
- Monitor for oil runoff. Direct any oil away from catch basins and surface waters.