Never enter a substation unless specifically directed to do so by your incident commander.
If you have been told to suppress the fire, take the following precautions:
- Position emergency vehicles at least 30 feet away from any power lines, whether inside or outside of the substation.
- Use only nonconductive ladders. Do not use metal ladders.
- Carry ladders parallel to the ground. This helps you avoid contacting overhead facilities.
- Never enter a substation until utility personnel has confirmed that the equipment is de-energized.
- Never use a solid stream of water on an oil fire; always use a fog stream. Transformer oil fires can be extinguished with protein foam sprays and water fog sprays, but a solid stream of water can actually spread an oil fire.
- Report all oil releases to the incident commander. Follow standard tactics for a hazardous materials response.